Saturday, September 6, 2008

Tennis Net

When I was younger I used to play tennis with my parents at an old tennis court. Over the years, the grounds surrounding the tennis court were put under construction, as two new baseball fields, a pathway, and a lacrosse field were made. During the construction, it was impossible to play at the tennis court. Over the years, I missed walking down the dirt path - where I would occasionally see a rabbit - to the tennis courts on a hot summer day, passing through the weeds and by the old abandoned ticket booth, to play a merry game of tennis with my mother and father. Eventually over time it was reopened, and just last week I went to go play tennis there. Even though the dirt path was gone, the weeds were pulled out, and the old ticket booth had been removed, the tennis court itself didn't change, and I like that. It is hard to decide whether change is a good thing or a bad thing, but I don't think that is to be decided. What's important to decide is how you remember things before they changed. My memories are still fresh in my mind.

"Become a student of change. It is the only thing that will remain constant."
- Anthony J. D'Angelo

5 comments:

dianasfaria.com said...

I like how the post is so clear. It makes you wonder what exactly it is. Then your eye follows the net out into the background where it gets all blurry. It looks like a nice peaceful lace to play tennis. Cool concept.

lynne h said...

i love this story, arnold... and am so happy that the courts are open again for you! i also like the photo -- the perspective that you chose.

mansuetude said...

lots of strength and delicate feeling evoked in the lines of this...love the text. Change is constant, though sometimes it feels like our tendons are being ripped out. :) But not often that much. Ha.

Lydia said...

This is truly striking!

kate said...

Lovely photo. Maybe it's because it's in black and white or maybe it's the mood you've created but the photo feels like it was taken in the 1940's. Hmmm....